Monday, March 28, 2011

Only 393,000,000 hits for "How do I write a blog?"

I honestly don't know if the cat's search was included in that count, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was among the millions drawn to our ever growing "culture of self-disclosure."
"I agree!"..."No, I disagree..."..."Wait a minute, you have a point... but..."..."Yes!"..."No!"...."Well, maybe." That in a nutshell was my reaction to this week's readings. A bit schizophrenic, I know. But that's exactly my mindset when it comes to technology, especially technology in the classroom. 

I feel like it's a bit of a Faustian bargain when I use it. I worry I'm taking a gamble, and the techno stars will not shine on me that day and something will go wrong, and of course I'll have absolutely no idea how to fix it. But then, when it goes right, and it's not just using technology for the sake of using technology, and it's actually a means to improving students' writing, reasoning, thinking skills - then I'm psyched! But then sometimes I have buyer's remorse, when we have a more traditional lesson without the bells and whistles. In other words, we use those ancient tools called paper and pencil, and some students act as if we're in the stone ages. Both "mediums" clearly have their value and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Clearly, what it comes down to is the use of technology in a well planned, well orchestrated manner that benefits all.

Which brings us to Tate. I too have wrestled with the unfairness of it all when I am dealing with students who have limited access to technology. Our current research paper requirement specifies a typed final product; online resources such as "Noodletools" are used for notecards and bibliographies. If a student does not have access to a computer at home, then they are forced to use any available study hall time, come in early to school, leave late, try to convince mom or dad to get them to the public library - all to gain access to small snatches of time to complete the project - a project that is far from easy to begin with, and is now doubly difficult. I've heard myself encouraging them by saying, "you can do this. You just have to manage your time better than the other students. You will gain something from being forced to work harder than everyone else to finish the project." I know, lame. I don't buy it either, and I feel frustrated on their behalf. We have, however, when the student nearly signs their life away, have started to loan lap tops overnight. But honestly, that doesn't do much good if they don't have a wifi hook up nearby. So where does that leave us? Sorry, just posing the question - I haven't the answer.
One last note on blogs, however. While I think they can be self-serving, attention-seeking, dregs of the writing world, I also see their tremendous benefit, and literally - just look at Egypt - they have the powerful potential to unite a world.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you brought up the socioeconomic factors involved with technology, as I can see this as an issue even at the community college level. Sure, students have access to PC loans, but that does not guarantee them access to the internet. We actually just had a college-wide Student Government discussion about re-visiting policy regarding computer/technology access to students. Currently our computer labs are not open 24/7, nor are they open past 9 p.m. most nights. Last week I had a student come into my office and attempt to take an online test at 9 (we had Open Mic night), but the computers shut off automatically at 9--much to my facebooking chagrin. (ha)

    So how do we "get around" alienating students who may not have 24/7 access to computers? I don't know if I know the answer, either. I know that in High School, I never required an out-of-class computer assignment. Instead, we'd complete any projects with a computer in the lab during class time. So maybe that's a way to keep a more level playing field?

    Additionally, however, I must say that I feel very strongly that technology--things like blogs or facebook, for example--allow any student, despite their socioeconomic status, to take place in a virtual community and virtually consume products that everyone else is consuming. I'm not saying it's great to be on any bandwagon or to assimilate into pop culture, but think about the possibilities for the individual to consume and produce a virtual identity that is without the association of socioeconomic status or race or age or ethnicity. Unless you post all of the information about yourself out there, really a blog is stripped down to your words and your ideas. Whether or not it's the best way to communicate with others is besides the point; the opportunity, I think, is simply pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete